Mediterranean, vegan, vegetarian, keto, carnivore, whole foods, and paleo are all diet plans that are followed by countless people in the United States. Each of these claim it is the greatest thing since sliced bread (if that is allowed in your diet).  So which one is the best one?  Should I eat a high fat diet?  Should I avoid red meat?  Should I only eat plant based foods?  The answer to this question is quite simple. There is no black and white;  the answer is that it depends. 

The Best Diet For You

 The truth is there is not one universal diet that works best for everyone. Some people live better with avoiding meat, while some people function best only eating red meat. The best way to figure out which diet is best for you is through experimentation. The only way to know which diet is best for you is to try each one and see how your body reacts to it.   This does not mean you have to go completely keto and then completely vegan and then completely carnivore by any means. Use principles of each diet for about a month or so to compare and contrast how you feel. Odds are that some of the principles of the diet will work for you and some of the principles will not. figure out what works and add that into your own custom diet plan. 

What We Want

There are a few principles for a diet that we do follow and recommend. The first of which is to eat real food. Real food means that there isn’t artificial preservatives added into it. If you come across an apple that is the size of your head, ask yourself if this is what an actual apple found in nature looks like. If you see chicken breasts at the local grocery store that weigh 5 lbs each, ask yourself the last time you saw a chicken that has the build of John Cena. Fruits, veggies, and meats are all natural foods to eat, but they too can be genetically modified.  In the same breath, if a food bought at the grocery store has more than 5 ingredients, or if you cannot pronounce half of the words in the food, then it is more than likely not good for you.  The next time you got to buy a protein bar  that is good for you, look at the list of ingredients in that bar and It is difficult to go wrong with eating food that is naturally found on the earth (unfortunately Doritos do not grow on bushes). 

Another principle that we like to follow is the 80/20 principle. This means that 80% of the time you stick to your diet plan as strictly as possible. The other 20% of the time, you can spend enjoying your food whether it is pizza, tacos, or fried chicken. Unless you are training strictly for a sport or event, it is not sustainable to eat a strict diet every single meal. Sustainability is an important word to use with diet. Anyone can maintain a diet for 1 month, but could you envision yourself utilizing your specific diet for years and years?  Using the 80/20 principle is one of the best ways to have a sustainable diet where you eat healthy, but can still enjoy some of the wonderful (but unhealthy) foods of the world. 



Contact Me